Tuesday, January 3, 2012

One Year Anniversary


Yesterday I celebrated a very important anniversary… I have been using dailymile for one year. 


At the time, I needed to do something to lose the last 15 stubborn pounds.  I signed up on dailymile on January 2nd, 2011 and frankly… it changed my life.  I was a runner before joining DM, but I did not run consistently… I only ran when I had time and IF I felt like it.  My goal was to make this part of my lifestyle.

When I started using dailymile, I was immediately in awe over how awesome it was.  DM is very similar to facebook, but it is geared towards athletes.  One major difference between the two… you can add complete strangers on DM and its fine, but it’s something I would not do on FB (just my opinion).  I have over 220 friends on DM (which is way more than I have on FB).  Some of them live in the Vegas area, but most are located across the country… even around the world!  It’s so great to have support from people who don’t think I’m crazy for running.  I have met and established friendships with many of my DM friends in real life.  I would have ever imagined that social media and my passion for running would help me meet new people online and then eventually in person.  How times have changed!

In the first month, I made it my goal to run 1,000 in 2011.  I had faith in my fitness that I could do this.  I knew I could run 100 miles in one month after seeing how close I was to 100 miles in January.  That became my new goal… which I was finally able to achieve in March.  Woo hoo! 

**On a side note, I managed to lose 12 pounds in my first month of using dailymile.  I was focused on my running and nutrition. 

Then the infamous San Francisco ½ Marathon on July 31st happened.  I injured my left shin.  I had to take 8-10 weeks off from running… that was HELL.  I managed to gain 10+ pounds.  I was still eating like I was running 20-30 miles a week.  This injury completely devastated me. 

I eased back into running at the end of October and managed to still hit my goal of 1,000 miles by the end of the year!

 
I am thankful to have found this website.  I have met (in person and online) so many people that support and inspire me every day.  It changed my life.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you. I have missed the Daily Mile and I am so glad to be back on it. Everyone is so supportive! I swear, it gives me the motivation to keep posting the numbers. Hopefully I can get thru the year!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your one year anniversary is within days of mine!! I completely agree - without dailymile I KNOW I wouldn't be where I am at now! Glad we have connected virtually!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see you back on DM Jan! You've been missed!

    @Jen--I'm glad we've connected on DM as well!

    ReplyDelete